Top 9 Best Dunks
Note that I have some rules for this list. No player could be on the list twice so I could spread the love to some dunks that aren’t as famous. Making this list was really tough, as many more dunks deserve to be on this list…but only 9 made the cut (hence top 9).
9. Chris Webber over Mark Jackson: This dunk isn’t talked about a lot, but it shows the crazy athleticism of Chris Webber (probably got it from Michigan). The name of the video says it all: Chris Webber teabags Mark Jackson. If he were commentating, Jackson would have no choice but to say “Mama, there goes that man again”.
8. Kobe Bryant vs Nuggets: Before he was the best player in the NBA, Kobe was more known as a high flyer. Putting the ball behind your back without traveling is tough. Doing a 360 is tough. Dunking over someone is tough. He does all 3.
7. Dr. J over Michael Cooper: So in this play, Dr. J gets a steal, runs the fastbreak, slows down to let Michael Cooper get in front of him and then puts down a dunk that has been missed by several players in the NBA Dunk Contest.
6. Michael Jordan over Patrick Ewing: What kind of list would this be if Air Jordan wasn’t on it. He fakes out two defenders, then jams on one of the best centers in NBA history. SPOILER ALERT: This won’t be the last dunk by a famous Bull over Patrick Ewing.
5. Black Griffin vs Knicks: Earlier this year, Blake Griffin put on his own little dunk contest against the Knicks. A few of these dunks could’ve made the top 9, so I just put all of the dunks in this slot. Watch the full video despite the excessive replays.
4. Scottie Pippen dunks on Patrick Ewing: Having been in Michael Jordan’s shadow, a lot of people forget how good Scottie Pippen actually was. Dunking over Patrick Ewing and then walking over him is bonified badass and brave (I’d be afraid to walk over him)
3. Shawn Kemp dunks on Alton Lister: Before he got fat and old, Shawn Kemp could straight fly. Not only does he throw down on Alston Lister but points to him after 9probably a technical in today’s game. Alton is gonna need some LISTERine to get the taste of Kemp’s nuts out of his mouth (sorry for the bad joke, I had to).
2. Vince Carter Olympic Dunk over Weiss: Everyone went crazy when Nate Robinson was able to jump over Dwight Howard (with a slight push off his shoulders) in the 2009 Dunk contest. Now imagine that happening in a game, except for over a guy taller than Dwight Howard. The only thing that could have made this dunk better is if Vinceanity actually did punch KG in the face after the dunk (note how close he is to knocking him out).
1. Jerome Lane Backboard Breaking Dunk: This dunk is absolutely unreal. The poor defender, who is probably glad his name isn’t well known, had Lane’s nuts in his face, fell down, and could have suffered a cut from all of that glass falling on top of him. TO add insult to injury, with the rim breaking, there was a long stoppage in play, giving everyone time to reflect on how vicious that dunk was.